Who needs a residence permit?
All non-Hungarian citizens with the exception of EU/EEA citizens have to have a residence permit if they wish to stay in Hungary for more than 90 days.
Where can I apply for a residence permit?
At the representation in whose consular district you reside. You must appear in person, as your biometrics (photo and fingerprints) will be taken on site.
If you are a US or the citizen of another visa-exempt country, you can apply in Hungary directly at the Bevándorlási és Menekültügyi Hivatal (Office of Immigation and Asylum) upon your arrival. We do not recommend doing this, unless your port of entry to the Schengen area is Budapest (e.g. if you are flying directly to Budapest or have a layover in London or Istanbul).
How much is the fee of the residence permit application?
Click HERE for the application fee for a resident permit. All fees are payable by card only when the application is submitted. We do not accept cash payments and checks. In case of a refusal of the visa, the visa processing fee cannot be refunded.
How do I get my residence permit?
If your application is approved, you will have to collect the residence permit itself in Budapest. We will affix a "type D" visa in your passport which you can use to enter Hungary (the Schengen area). If you are not able to collect your passport at the Embassy, please provide a prepaid, trackable self-addressed envelope.
Which documents do I need to submit?
I. General requirements:
- Fully completed residence permit application form (signed by the applicant, only Hungarian and English version accepted).
- Valid passport (which must be valid for at least 3 months after returning from Hungary, issued within the last 10 years and containing 2 empty pages).
- 2 passport-size color photos (US standard size, not older than 6 months).
- Original of valid US alien registration card (residence permit, aka green card) or valid US resident visa (type A, E, F, G, H, I, J, L, O, R).
- Airplane ticket reservation.
- Supporting documents of health insurance (coverage of 50.000 USD for any medical and repatriation expenses, valid for the territory of Hungary/Schengen States, covering the whole period of stay).
- Supporting documents for accommodation.
- Confirmation of financial resources (the last 3 months of bank statements).
Please note that the consul may request the presentation of further documents.
All documents to be presented in connection with the visa application shall be original.
The consulate reserves the right to examine the authenticity of the communicated data and the submitted documents. The communication of false data will in itself lead to the refusal of the visa application.
II. Additional requirements:
1) In the case of a residence permit for the purpose of employment, the following documents are needed:
- A work permit, that can be obtained in Hungary from the Labor Authority of the county (or Budapest) where the future employment will take place. The application shall be filed by the future Hungarian employer. Once issued, the work permit shall be sent to the foreigner to submit it with the visa application.
- A contract of employment.
- A document certifying occupancy in Hungary.
- A certificate on how the person will make a living until he receives his first salary (bank account statement, employer’s certificate that he will pay an advance to the person, etc.).
- Residence permit application form for the purpose of employment is available here.
2) In the case of residence permit for the purpose of pursuing an income-generating activity, the following documents are needed:
- A certificate on the character of the gainful activity (the articles of association).
- The resolution on the court registration of the enterprise.
- A document certifying occupancy in Hungary.
- A certificate on the acquisition of the qualification necessary for filling the position.
- A declaration, certificate on the (expected) yearly income.
- A certificate of the amount of money at the person’s disposal in Hungary.
- The simplified balance sheet of the previous year (for a firm already operating).
- A certificate that the firm has no public debt (for a firm already operating).
- If the firm has Hungarian employees: their employment contracts.
- In the case of a new enterprise: a brief business plan.
In case a visa for gainful activity is based on self-employment like 1/ putting equipment into operation, providing warranty or guaranteed repair or service work, as part of the contract with the foreign supplier of the equipment; 2/ an executive officer of a company with foreign participation; 3/ a member of the supervisory board of a company with majority foreign ownership, the applicant shall submit the following particular evidence in addition to other regular documents:
- In the case of paragraph 1: (certified copy of) the contract on supplying the equipment
- In case of paragraph 2. and 3.: the company's articles of incorporation, the certificate of incorporation issued by the Court of Registration, certification of the usefulness of the activity, as well as statements concerning the nature, scope, and duration of the activities and the staff involved.
- The residence permit application form for the purpose of pursuing income-generating activity is available here.
3) In case of a residence permit for educational purposes, the following documents are needed:
- A certificate of school attendance.
- A document certifying occupancy in Hungary (the document certifying accommodation in a student hostel or the tenancy contract with a duplicate of the title deed).
- The documents certifying subsistence in Hungary (bank account statement; or the declaration of the parents that they assume coverage of all costs of the stay in Hungary; or the document certifying the scholarship).
- Attestation of the school that the applicant is exempt from the payment of school fees or that he/she has already paid the tuition fees.
- Residence permit application form for the purpose of studies is available here.
4) In case of a residence permit for family reunification or for visiting a relative/friend, the following documents are required:
- Document certifying occupancy in Hungary.
- Document certifying subsistence in Hungary.
- Marriage certificate/birth certificate.
- Copy of the passport of the Hungarian relative.
- Residence permit application form for the purpose of visiting is available here.
- Residence permit application form for the purpose of family reunification is available here.
5) In case of a residence permit for research, the following document is needed:
- Contract with an accredited research institute.
- Residence permit application form for the purpose of research is available here.
6) Other purposes:
- Residence permit application form for the purpose of medical treatment is available here.
- Residence permit application form for official purposes is available here.
- Residence permit application form for seasonal workers is available here.
- Residence permit application form for other purposes is available here.
How much time does it take to get my visa?
As a general rule, the regional directorate processes the application within 30 days.
If the purpose of entry is study or research the directorates shall make a decision within 15 days.
In case of refusal, the applicant may lodge an appeal within 5 days from the notification. The appeal shall be submitted directly to that regional directorate of the Office of Immigration and Asylum that processed the application.