Obtaining Certificates from Hungary
How can I apply for a certificate?
The request for obtaining a Hungarian vital statistics certificate may be submitted in person at the representation in whose consular district you reside. In exceptional cases, it can also be mailed to the Embassy (3910 Shoemaker Street, NW, Washington, DC 20008).
What is the cost of a certificate?
Obtaining certificates from Hungary is free of charge.
What kind of certificates can be obtained from Hungary?
Only Hungarian certificates of vital statistics events, that took place in the present-day territory of Hungary. The state civil registry was introduced in Hungary in 1895. When requesting older certificates based on church registries, please indicate the religious denomination.
In each case, accurate knowledge of the following is required:
- Birth name
- Place and date of birth (yyyy, mm, dd), with the district in case of Budapest
- Mother's maiden name
- Father's name
- In the case of wedding certificates, the place and date of marriage (yyyy, mm, dd), with the district in case of Budapest
What form should I fill out?
Forms are available for download here:
- Request for a birth certificate
- Request for a marriage certificate or a certificate of registered partnership
- Request for a death certificate
Please fill the form out with a blue ink pen, in block capitals. Indicate the aim of obtaining the certificate. The application must be signed in front of the consular officer.
What other documents are necessary to bring to the appointment?
In case of your own document or minor child: You will need to provide a valid ID.
In case of a non-own document:
- It is necessary to present the document on which the application is based (e.g., certificate of relationship, a record of pending dispute, etc.).
- Written authorization is required from the person concerned in the certificate to be obtained. The authorization is (1) either handwritten and signed by the person himself or herself, or (2) it is written by someone else but signed by the person concerned in the certificate to be obtained and authenticated by two witnesses. Original authorization is required.
- In the case of a deceased person, a copy of the certificate of death (certificate of registration) is required.
When mailing in your application, please also include
- a photocopy of your valid ID document,
- a cover letter with your contact details (phone, email)
- a prepaid, self-addressed, trackable envelope