Registration of Marriage

Who can have a marriage registered in Hungary, and how to do it?

All Hungarian citizens must have their marriages officiated abroad registered in Hungary.

Follow this procedure if at least one of the parties to the marriage has proof of his or her Hungarian citizenship. 

The application may only be submitted in person by both parties present, mailed-in applications will be sent back without consideration.

The application may be submitted at the representation in whose consular district you reside and during extramural consular days.


How much is the fee?

Marriage registration is free of charge. However, we charge a service fee for applications submitted during extramural consular days; also consular assistance fee is applicable in certain cases. You'll find more information about consular fees HERE. All fees are payable only by debit or credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, Discover).


Which form should I fill out?

When filling out the form, please follow these guidelines (there is an English translation of the form to help you):

Please fill the form out with a computer or by a blue ink pen, with block capitals.

Please use full names, e.g. John Thomas Smith instead of John Smith or John T. Smith.

When asked about the mailing of the marriage certificate please ask that it is forwarded to the Embassy in Washington, DC. We will mail your certificate to the US address you specify.


What documents shall I submit with the application?

  • Your original marriage certificate. We only accept a full ("long-form”) marriage certificate! (If you do not have an extra copy, you may request one here.) If the certificate only includes the names of the parties, please attach a copy of your application to marry.
  • The applicants must present their identity documents, and in the case of a non-Hungarian citizen, a passport or citizenship certificate which proves his or her citizenship. The Hungarian party shall present proof of Hungarian citizenship.
  • If the bride's or the groom's family status at the time of the marriage was divorced or widow, submit the Hungarian-issued or foreign marriage certificate, and the death certificate of the deceased spouse or a court decree (with Hungarian translation).
  • If the divorce from the previous marriage of a Hungarian citizen has not yet been registered, it has to be done simultaneously.


Should I bring a translation of the documents?

There is no need for translation: 

  • if the marriage certificate is issued in English, German or French language;
  • OR, if the marriage certificate is issued by other countries in two or more languages if one of them is English, German or French.


If the marriage certificate is issued in a different language, a legalized translation should be presented:

  • the translation could be prepared by the National Translation and Authentication Office (OFFI) – , 1062 Budapest, Bajza utca 52, Tel: (36-1) 428-9600, Fax: (36-1) 428-9610 –, in this case, it does not need to be further legalized;
  • OR, the translation should be legalized by the responsible Hungarian Consulate.


Please note that court decrees are to be submitted with Hungarian translation. The translation can be prepared by a US-based Hungarian translator or even the applicants themselves. In this case, there is an extra 24 USD authentication fee in addition.


How can I schedule an appointment?

To book an appointment, please contact us at the following email address with your request and a short explanation of your case:

Please note that you should reserve one slot per application submitted – for example, if you apply for verification of citizenship, a passport, and the registration of marriage at the same time, you should reserve 3 slots.


What Hungarian governmental authority is responsible and where can I get more information?

The Budapest Főváros Kormányhivatala (Budapest Metropolitan Government Office) is responsible for the registration of vital statistics events that happened abroad.